Samsung already updated Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy Note 2, now Android 4.3 firmware is finally available for the Samsung Galaxy S3. Samsung internally tested a few Android 4.2 builds, but never released them officially and skipped directly to 4.3. The several months wait has come to an end – now S III users will be able to enjoy new goodies.
A couple of days ago the first Android 4.3 leak came online and was pretty stable, though still having a few bugs. But we got indications of how the new firmware will look. According to SamMobile, it has quite a lot of changes and improvements compared to 4.1.2, like overhauled UI and Settings app with a new tabbed interface. Unfortunately, the old TouchWiz launcher and widgets are still there. Samsung Knox hasn’t been implemented yet, but we will probably see it in the upcoming builds. We also know Samsung doesn’t release official change logs, but SamMobile compiled a list of differences they found testing the updated software.
Android 4.3 Update Changes and improvements
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- ANT+ Support
- Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- GPU drivers have been updated (Higher GPU benchmark scores)
- New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- Move-to-SD-card feature
- New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
- New Additions in Notification Centre
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
- Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
- New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4)
For the moment Android 4.3 update is only available in Ireland, but should be available in your country very soon. However, if your device is carrier branded, it might take sometime due to carrier specific improvements. You can install by connecting your device to your computer and using Samsung KIES. Or via Samsung’s OTA service, namely from Settings / More / About Device / Software update / Update.
Country: Ireland (Vodafone)
Version: Android 4.3
Build date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 03:29:22 +0000
Product Code: VDI
If for some reason that does not work, or you live outside Ireland, you can get the new official Android 4.3 from SamMobile here. You’ll have to sign-in and select your device TYPE, OS, MODEL and COUNTRY: Ireland (Vodaphone) – VDI. Flashing externally will wipe your device, including data on your internal SD card, so remember to make backups and please follow the instructions exactly as stated.
19,527 total views, 1 views today